Need help with plpgsql function.

From: berelith <nicolasbeuzeboc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Need help with plpgsql function.
Date: 2010-11-13 23:48:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'm creating the function on a postgres 8.2 server.
I would like the function to accept half a dozen varied parameters (varchars
and timestamps).
The first parameter will determine which one of the 6 different select
queries that function is going to run.

The function will return all the rows from the chosen select statement.

I've been reading the postgresql documentation in creating functions that
returns rowset and I've read about plpgsql. It seems to be what I need
because there is going to be conditional statements.

I'm just having a hard time putting it all together, and I'm not sure about
the syntax and how to return the selected rows back into OUT parameters.

This is a short pseudo example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION report (
-- function arguments, type will determine which one of the 6 queries to run
IN type character varying(20),
IN param1 character varying(255),
IN param2 timestamp,
-- returned values
OUT code table.code%TYPE,
OUT name table.name%TYPE
)
RETURNS SETOF rows
{ LANGUAGE PLPGSQL
IF type like 'type A' THEN
SELECT code, name INTO rows FROM tableA join some table ....;
return rows
ELSIF type like 'type B' THEN
SELECT code, name INTO rows FROM tableB join someothertable ... ;
return rows
ELSE
RETURN VOID
END IF;