Re: More then 1600 columns?

From: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <cce(at)clarkevans(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Mark Mitchell" <mmitchell(at)riccagroup(dot)com>
Cc: "'Dmitriy Igrishin'" <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Dann Corbit'" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More then 1600 columns?
Date: 2010-11-13 03:13:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

Thank you for the helpful response.

It is very reasonable for the PostgreSQL developers to
decide this isn't a common enough problem to justify the
effort to change and/or the runtime cost. For example,
I'd rather advocate for other features myself (such as CUBE).

The solution "in the field" is to shard the columns into
sets (I call them facets). Your instrument table then
has N subordinate tables with a 1 to 0/1 relationship
implemented by placing a UNIQUE key on the FK columns.
The consequence is that application software has to
manage the column-based partitioning.

The suggestion to not use a relational model (HSTORE,
XML, or EAV table) is also valid for some use cases.
However, it often replaces one problem with another:
you now need to write your own query language. IMHO,
if you go this far, you should switch to RDF+SPARQL.

What would be most helpful though is if the answer to
this question stop being an attack on the business
requirement analysis, database design skills, and/or
sanity of the requester. It's a limitation of
PostgreSQL's implementation; a deliberate performance
trade-off that is infeasible to change. That's fine.
PostgreSQL is a fantastic database -- it's welcome to
have a few limitations.

Best,

Clark