Re: Weird quirk with pg_dump of complex types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird quirk with pg_dump of complex types
Date: 2009-02-27 06:24:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> It seems like pg_dump tries fairly hard to make the output readable in
> the typical case. It does seem a little inconsistent that the list of
> types that make up another type don't follow the exact same rules;

Are you entirely sure that they don't? Josh didn't provide enough
context to be sure, but I didn't see any clear proof in his example
that the type references were working any differently than they do
elsewhere in pg_dump.

The normal deal in pg_dump is that when dumping any given object,
the search path is set to that object's schema followed by pg_catalog.
So you will get a schema qualification for any reference to an object in
a different schema. Also, there are certain standard data types that
are spelled in special ways because The SQL Standard Says So.