temporary functions (and other object types)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: temporary functions (and other object types)
Date: 2010-11-05 19:36:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

A customer of ours has the need for temporary functions. The use case
is writing test cases for their databases: the idea being that their
code creates a temp function which then goes away automatically at
session end, just like a temp table. It's said that this makes things
generally easier for the test harness.

Other object types that would also be useful to have as temp-able are
types, domains and casts; and perhaps (if someone sees a need)
aggregates and operators. Other objects are not necessary, but if
someone thinks that some more stuff should be made temp-able, we'd try
to go for as general a solution as possible. But these aren't critical;
functions are the main pain point.

I haven't looked at the code at all to see how this would be
implemented; I'm basically asking whether there would be objections to
having this feature in core.

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>