Re: ALTER OBJECT any_name SET SCHEMA name

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER OBJECT any_name SET SCHEMA name
Date: 2010-11-05 16:03:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Dimitri Fontaine's message of vie nov 05 06:49:34 -0300 2010:
> > Hmm, seeing the amount of new includes in extension.c, I wonder if it'd
> > be better to move AlterExtensionNamespace to alter.c.
>
> It was mainly missing includes cleanup. The guts of the function is now
> so short I can inline it in this mail:

Ah, good.

> Please find attached v3 patch with #include cleanup.

Frankly, the get_extension_namespace bit still feels wrong to me. I
would have the namespace be present in the pg_extension catalog, even if
it's not part of the primary key. This would let you answer the
question: what schema did I install this extension in? (and display it
in \dx commands etc) If you don't know that, then the ability to change
it to another schema looks incomplete. Since we're now saying that
moving the extension to another schema is a first-class operation, I
think the data should be represented more explicitely in the catalog
rather than being derived from pg_depend contents.