Re: why does plperl cache functions using just a bool for is_trigger

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Postgres - Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: why does plperl cache functions using just a bool for is_trigger
Date: 2010-11-04 09:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 11:46 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 21:43 +0100, Jan Urbański wrote:
> > The validator is ready, once I'm done with the hash tables I'll try to
> > fix up the error checking (get rid of the global error state) and
> > finally do what started it all, that is make plpythonu use
> > subtransactions for SPI and be able to do:
> >
> > try:
> > plpy.execute("insert into foo values(1)")
> > except plpy.UniqueViolation, e:
> > plpy.notice("Ooops, you got yourself a SQLSTATE %d", e.sqlstate)
>
> Are you sure that having each try/except use a subtransaction is the
> right way to do it ?

Another objection

> I'd like to make it more explicit and use
>
> with plpy.subtransaction():
> do your stuff

Possibly better syntax would be

with plpy.subtransaction() as subtrx:
try:
plpy.execute("insert into foo values(1)")
except plpy.UniqueViolation, e:
subtrx.rollback()
plpy.notice("Ooops, you got yourself a SQLSTATE %d", e.sqlstate)

-------
Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Infinite Scalability and Preformance Consultant
PG Admin Book: http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/