Re: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...
Date: 2010-10-29 19:11:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie oct 29 14:15:55 -0300 2010:
> I wrote:
> > This is going to be dominated by constraint exclusion checking.
>
> Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. With 9000 child tables I get a profile
> like this:
>
> samples % symbol name
> 447433 47.1553 get_tabstat_entry

Is there a reason for keeping the pgstat info in plain lists? We could
use dynahash there too, I think. It would have more palloc overhead
that way, though (hmm, but perhaps that can be fixed by having a smart
"alloc" function for it, preallocating a bunch of entries instead of one
by one).