Re: max_wal_senders must die

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max_wal_senders must die
Date: 2010-10-27 08:08:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Setting max_wal_senders to a non-zero value causes additional work to
> > be done every time a transaction commits, aborts, or is prepared.
>
> Yes.

Sorry guys, but that is completely wrong. There is no additional work to
be done each time a transaction commits, even with sync rep. And I don't
mean "nearly zero", I mean nada.

> This isn't just a numeric parameter; it's also a boolean
> indicating "do I want to pay the overhead to be prepared to be a
> replication master?".

Agreed, but its to do with wal_level.

> Josh has completely failed to make a case that
> that should be the default.

Agreed.

> In fact, the system would fail to start
> at all if we just changed the default for max_wal_senders and not the
> default for wal_level.

Agree with that as a problem.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/