Re: Why do we have a database specification in .pgpass?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why do we have a database specification in .pgpass?
Date: 2010-10-16 10:23:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2010-10-13 at 14:32 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We have a database specification in .pgpass:
>
> hostname:port:database:username:password
>
> What is the purpose of 'database' since username/password combinations
> are global, not per database? I would like to documents its purpose.

As a side note, the thing at the other end of a connection is not
necessarily a PostgreSQL server. It could be a connection pool proxy.
I don't know if any implementatation could make use of the database
field at the moment, but it should be kept in mind.

That said, it would probably be good to document that the database field
is currently only useful in certain limited circumstances.