Re: Issues with Quorum Commit

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with Quorum Commit
Date: 2010-10-07 07:30:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:57 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I also strongly believe that we should get single-standby
> functionality committed and tested *first*, before working further on
> multi-standby.

Yes, lets get k = 1 first.

With k = 1 the number of standbys is not limited, so we can still have
very robust and highly available architectures. So we mean
"first-acknowledgement-releases-waiters".

> (1) Consistency: this is another DBA-false-confidence issue. DBAs who
> implement (1) are liable to do so thinking that they are not only
> guaranteeing the consistency of every standby with the master, but the
> consistency of every standby with every other standby -- a kind of
> dummy multi-master. They are not, so it will take multiple reminders
> and workarounds in the docs to explain this. And we'll get complaints
> anyway.

This puts the matter very clearly. Setting k = N is not as good an idea
as it sounds when first described.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com