Re: security label support, revised

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: security label support, revised
Date: 2010-09-28 14:56:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2010-09-28 at 09:22 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > I think it should actually be run as part of the regular build.
> Ever
> > since I started using git and developing like 10 features at once,
> and
> > other people doing the same, the chances of (hidden) OID conflicts
> is
> > growing immensely.
>
> Injecting nonessential checks into the build process doesn't seem like
> a good idea to me. Typing 'make' should just do the build. If you
> want to check for breakage, well, that's what 'make check' is for.

I don't feel strongly either way, but if we want to philosophize for a
minute, all these -W option on the compiler command line are
nonessential checks. ;-) I suppose 'make check' should test whether the
code behaves correctly rather than checking whether the code was
structured consistently to begin with.