Re: installer problems

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Samuel Rettore <rettore(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installer problems
Date: 2010-09-24 14:52:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On fre, 2010-09-24 at 09:01 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> How else would you suggest we find out what may go wrong on an
> unsupported platform?

Well, some amount of robust and defensive programming can probably
create better error messages in even the most unknown environment.
Especially since the product you're creating is to some degree intended
for newbies.

Now I suspect that the problem of the user might be unrelated to the
installer not actually supporting the host platform, but I'm questioning
the approach of dismissing error messages like "child killed" and
"floating-point exception" with "unsupported, don't care".

Note also that actually finding out which platforms are supported
requires the unsuspecting user to download a PDF file and scroll down a
few pages, whereas the way it's presented for download might give the
impression in runs everywhere.