Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-23 15:32:38
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 13:00 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> I think it should be a separate config file, and I think it should be
> a config file that can be edited using DDL commands as you propose.
> But it CAN'T be a system catalog, because, among other problems, that
> rules out cascading slaves, which are a feature a lot of people
> probably want to eventually have.

ISTM that we can have a system catalog and still have cascading slaves.
If we administer the catalog via the master, why can't we administer all
slaves, however they cascade, via the master too?

What other problems are there that mean we *must* have a file? I can't
see any. Elsewhere, we've established that we can have unregistered
standbys, so max_wal_senders cannot go away.

If we do have a file, it will be a problem after failover since the file
will be either absent or potentially out of date.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com