Re: Per-column collation, work in progress

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per-column collation, work in progress
Date: 2010-09-23 09:10:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tor, 2010-09-23 at 17:29 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > 5.
> > postgres=# create table xy(a text, b text collate "cs_CZ");
> > ERROR: collation "cs_CZ" for current database encoding "UTF8" does not exist
> > can be there some more friendly message or hint ?
>
> I hope Postgres automatically detects the omitted encoding
> because it knows the database encoding is UTF8.

I would rather not build too many expectations into this yet. The
collation names are chosen by the user, the locale names are from the
operating system. There is not necessarily a correspondence. The best
fix is probably what I described earlier, populate the pg_collation
table with the ".utf8" suffix stripped.