Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?
Date: 2010-09-22 06:24:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2010-09-21 at 18:31 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Also, doesn't some SQL standard require oids, so we should have a way
> to enable them by default for all tables?

From some DB2 example:

CREATE TYPE BusinessUnit_t AS
(Name VARCHAR(20),
Headcount INT);

CREATE TABLE BusinessUnit OF BusinessUnit_t
(REF IS oid USER GENERATED);

The DB2 documentation consistently refers to this column as "oid", but
there is no requirement to name it that way.

The SQL standard also contains this sentence:

Let OID be the name of the self-referencing column of S.

which refers to the thing defined in the example above, but "OID" is
just a placeholder here.

I think there was a mention of OIDs in the "SQL3" draft that eventually
became SQL99, but that's long past now. Current standards don't have
it, except in the, perhaps more generalized, form above.