Re: Is there any performance penalty using --with-ssl?

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there any performance penalty using --with-ssl?
Date: 2002-01-04 13:20:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On Friday, January 04, 2002 00:50:08 -0500 "Marc G. Fournier"
<scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se> writes:
>> > I am preparing the update of the FreeBSD port of PostgreSQL with the
>> > upcoming 7.2, and I'm just wondering: is there any performance penalty
>> > intoduced by including --with-ssl in the default configure args?
>>
>> Failure to build/run if SSL libraries are not available?
>>
>> AFAIK there is no run-time penalty, especially not if the server is
>> started without the enable-ssl switch. But there had better be an
>> SSL library to link with.
>
> SSL libraries are default with a FreeBSD install, as its required by SSH

True. I was thinking of the obscure cases where
#NO_OPENSSL= true # do not build OpenSSL (implies NO_OPENSSH)
is uncommented in make.conf... The port can handle that, no problem, but a
package would fail at runtime. Those freebsd'ers can probably live with
this, I guess?

/Palle