Re: multi-install PostgresNode fails with older postgres versions

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multi-install PostgresNode fails with older postgres versions
Date: 2021-04-07 17:07:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 9:26 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 09:08:31 -0700
> Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>> On Apr 7, 2021, at 7:37 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
>
>>> And here is a demo test file:
>>> https://github.com/ioguix/check_pgactivity/blob/tests/t/01-streaming_delta.t
>>>
>>> My limited set of tests are working with versions back to 9.0 so far.
>>>
>>> My 2¢
>>
>> Hmm, I took a look. I'm not sure that we're working on the same problem, but
>> I might have missed something.
>
> I understood you were working on making PostgresNode compatible with older
> versions of PostgreSQL. So ou can create and interact with older versions,
> eg. 9.0. Did I misunderstood?

We're both working on compatibility with older versions, that is true. I may have misunderstood your code somewhat. It is hard to quickly review your changes, as they are all mixed together with a mass of copied code from the main project. I'll look some more for parts that I could reuse.

Thanks

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company