Re: Synchronous replication - patch status inquiry

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, fazool mein <fazoolmein(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication - patch status inquiry
Date: 2010-09-02 14:06:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 08:59 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > "All standbys" has no meaning without registration. It is not a question
> > that needs an answer.
>
> Tell that to the DBA. I bet s/he knows what "all standbys" means.
> The fact that the system doesn't know something doesn't make it
> unimportant.

> I agree that we don't absolutely need standby registration for some
> really basic version of synchronous replication. But I think we'd be
> better off biting the bullet and adding it. I think that without it
> we're going to resort to a series of increasingly grotty and
> user-unfriendly hacks to make this work.

I'm personally quite happy to have server registration.

My interest is in ensuring we have master-controlled robustness, which
is so far being ignored because "we need simple". Refrring to above, we
are clearly quite willing to go beyond the most basic implementation, so
there's no further argument to exclude it for that reason.

The implementation of master-controlled robustness is no more difficult
than the alternative.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com