Re: Feature proposal

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: wstrzalka <wstrzalka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature proposal
Date: 2010-08-30 18:11:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Excerpts from wstrzalka's message of jue ago 26 03:18:36 -0400 2010:

> So after turning off fsync & synchronous_commit (which I can afford as
> I'm populating database from scratch)
> I've stucked at 43 minutes for the mentioned table. There is no PK,
> constrains, indexes, ... - nothing except for data.

Are you truncating the table in the same transaction that copies the
data into it? If you do that, an optimization to skip WAL fires getting
you a nice performance boost. You need to have WAL archiving turned off
though.

Also, if you do that, perhaps there's no point in turning off fsync and
synch_commit because an fsync will be done only once when the copy is
complete.