Re: pg_preadv() and pg_pwritev()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_preadv() and pg_pwritev()
Date: 2021-01-13 16:13:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> On 13.01.2021 12:56, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:40 PM Sergey Shinderuk
>> <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>>> note: 'pwritev' has been marked as being introduced in macOS 11.0 here,
>>> but the deployment target is macOS 10.15.0

>> Hrm... So why did "configure" think you have pwritev, then? It seems
>> like you must have been using different compilers or options at
>> configure time and compile time, no?

> No, i've just rerun configure from clean checkout without any options.
> It does think that pwritev is available. I'll try to figure this out
> later and come back to you. Thanks.

The symptoms sound consistent with using bleeding-edge Xcode on a
Catalina machine ... please report exact OS and Xcode versions.

I have a different complaint, using Big Sur and Xcode 12.3:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: libpgport.a(pread.o) has no symbols
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: libpgport_shlib.a(pread_shlib.o) has no symbols
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: libpgport_srv.a(pread_srv.o) has no symbols

Looks like we need to be more careful about not including pread.c
in the build unless it actually has code to contribute.