Re: windows / initdb oddness

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows / initdb oddness
Date: 2006-02-22 16:54:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Thinking about this a tiny bit more, it struck me that by far the best
> way to do this is to stop using a magic argument and use the environment
> instead. Then we don't need to mangle the command line at all. This
> actually results in less code, and should be more robust (mangling the
> command line in Windows is dangerous and difficult because of quotes).

This seems like a good idea.

Is there any reason to worry about an accidental environment conflict?
If someone mistakenly did "export PG_RESTRICT_EXEC=1", it looks to me
like this would cause the re-exec bit to be skipped, but I suppose the
worst possible consequence is that the postmaster would refuse to start.
Is there anything I don't see? (Of course, the magic argument method
can be broken manually in just the same way...)