Re: errcontext support in PL/Perl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: errcontext support in PL/Perl
Date: 2009-09-15 15:32:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But for extra credit, couldn't we code it so that the context is set
> before the PL handler is called, so that we get this functionality into
> all PLs at once?

FWIW, I don't particularly agree with that --- there is no reason to
suppose that all PLs will want to do this exactly the same way. Even
if they did, the amount of code shared would only be a few lines.
It would likely end up being *more* code not less by the time you'd
found a way to do it in common (since e.g. the function caches would
not be the same for all PLs, if they even had one).