Re: out of memory error

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Silvio Brandani <silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: out of memory error
Date: 2010-08-06 15:43:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Excerpts from Silvio Brandani's message of vie ago 06 07:56:53 -0400 2010:

> it seems the execution plan is different for this query when run from
> the application versus the psql . How can I check the execution plan of
> a query run by a user??
> I can set explain analyze for the query via psql but how can I check
> with application running the query???

If this is a prepared query, then that is a good guess. You can see the
real plan that the application is getting in psql by explaining the
execution of a prepared statement like this:

PREPARE foo(int, text) AS SELECT blah FROM foo, bar WHERE foo.id = $1 AND ...
EXPLAIN ANALYZE EXECUTE foo(someval, another);