Re: Re: BUG #5602: Recovering from Hot-Standby file backup leads to the currupted indexes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: valgog <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: BUG #5602: Recovering from Hot-Standby file backup leads to the currupted indexes
Date: 2010-08-05 22:50:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:28 -0700, valgog wrote:
> > This process seems almost entirely unrelated to the documented way of
> > doing it; I'm not surprised that you end up with some files not in sync.
> > Please see pg_start_backup and friends.

> It was done as documented in http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/backup-incremental-updated.html

The procedure used does differ from that documented. However, IMHO the
procedure *documented* is *not* safe and could lead to corrupt indexes
in the way described, since the last recovered point might be mid-way
between two halves of an index split record, which will never be
corrected during HS. What I find surprising is that the technique the OP
describes should be safe, assuming step 5 waits for the correct point of
consistency before attempting to run queries.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com