Re: english parser in text search: support for multiple words in the same position

From: Sushant Sinha <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: english parser in text search: support for multiple words in the same position
Date: 2010-08-02 13:12:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 08/01/2010 08:04 PM, Sushant Sinha wrote:
> > 1. We do not have separate tokens "wikipedia" and "org"
> > 2. If we have the two tokens we should have them at adjacent position so
> > that a phrase search for "wikipedia org" should work.
>
> This would needlessly increase the number of tokens. Instead you'd
> better make it work like compound word support, having just "wikipedia"
> and "org" as tokens.

The current text parser already returns url and url_path. That already
increases the number of unique tokens. I am only asking for adding of
normal english words as well so that if someone types only "wikipedia"
he gets a match.

> Searching for "wikipedia.org" or "wikipedia org" should then result in
> the same search query with the two tokens: "wikipedia" and "org".

Earlier people have expressed the need to index urls/emails and
currently the text parser already does so. Reverting that would be a
regression of functionality. Further, a ranking function can take
advantage of direct match of a token.

> > position 0: WORD(wikipedia), URL(wikipedia.org/search?q=sushant)
>
> IMO the differentiation between WORDs and URLs is not something the text
> search engine should have to take care a lot. Let it just do the
> searching and make it do that well.

Postgres english parser already emits urls as tokens. Only thing I am
asking is on improving the tokenization and positioning.

> What does a token "wikipedia.org/search?q=sushant" buy you in terms of
> text searching? Or even result highlighting? I wouldn't expect anybody
> to want to search for a full URL, do you?

There have been need expressed in past. And an exact token match can
result in better ranking functions. For example, a tf-idf ranking will
rank matching of such unique tokens significantly higher.

-Sushant.