Re: SHOW TABLES

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SHOW TABLES
Date: 2010-07-16 21:26:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 19:32 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> That's a very sensible suggestion, we should give a hint for all common
> commands SHOW, LIST, etc., even though we pick just one to implement.
>
> > That way we're not on the hook to maintain them forever, and we
> > will be
>
> > doing people a favor by introducing them to the backslash
> > commands
>
> That's a sentence I never thought to see written down

No kidding.

We are not helping users by introducing them to \d commands.

I will repeat what I said at the beginning of this postgres vs.
postgresql thread:

Yes. We should provide a single, well described grammar for interacting
with objects in the database regardless of client. I should be able to
open ANY SQL terminal, and type SHOW ME THE MONEY and have Benjamins
fall out.

The discussions of \ commands and psql are irrelevant to this thread.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor