Re: Identical query slower on 8.4 vs 8.3

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Patrick Donlin <pdonlin(at)oaisd(dot)org>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Identical query slower on 8.4 vs 8.3
Date: 2010-07-15 15:21:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Excerpts from Patrick Donlin's message of jue jul 15 11:12:53 -0400 2010:
> I'll read over that wiki entry, but for now here is the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output assuming I did it correctly. I have run vacuumdb --full --analyze, it actually runs as a nightly cron job.

These plans seem identical (though the fact that the leading whitespace
was trimmed means it's untrustworthy -- please in the future send them
as text attachments instead so that your mailer doesn't interfere with
formatting). The 8.4 plan is even a full second faster, according to
the "total runtime" line.

The slowness could've been caused by caching effects ...