SHOW TABLES

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SHOW TABLES
Date: 2010-07-15 15:00:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The biggest turn off that most people experience when using PostgreSQL
is that psql does not support memorable commands.

I would like to implement the following commands as SQL, allowing them
to be used from any interface.

SHOW TABLES
SHOW COLUMNS
SHOW DATABASES
SHOW [FULL] <any object type>

with identical meaning to psql's \d<?> syntax.

Why? Because it will help people, most importantly, new people. It's
similar enough to other systems to be useful and user friendly enough to
be sensible.

The command output will not mimic output from other systems.

While I'm on the theme of "do the obvious", I'd also like to make psql
recognise the word QUIT, in all cases.

No, its not April 1, this is a serious and to 1000s of people an obvious
thing to help us shine a light inside the black box of Postgres.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com