Re: BUG #6758: ./configure script sets HAVE_WCSTOMBS_L 1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Hastie <andrew(at)ahastie(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6758: ./configure script sets HAVE_WCSTOMBS_L 1
Date: 2012-08-31 14:59:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Hastie <andrew(at)ahastie(dot)net> writes:
> Thanks for the pointers. Hopefully some of the following may shed some
> light on the issue.

Thanks for the results. It seems difficult to come to any conclusion
other than that AIX has got wcstombs_l but not mbstowcs_l ... which is
darn bizarre; I'd suggest reporting it as a bug to IBM.

In the meantime, it seems like what we had better do is explicitly
test for both functions, rather than making the assumption that they
would both or neither be present. I'm not sure if we can provide any
extra functionality if only wcstombs_l is available --- that will
have to emerge in making the patch. We can certainly build without
it though.

As a temporary workaround, you should probably just modify pg_config.h
after configure runs, to remove the HAVE_WCSTOMBS_L symbol.