Re: Issue about memory order on ARM

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: 盏一 <w(at)www(dot)hidva(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue about memory order on ARM
Date: 2019-12-01 15:49:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"=?utf-8?B?55uP5LiA?=" <w(at)www(dot)hidva(dot)com> writes:
> The code in GetSnapshotData() that read the `xid` field of&nbsp; PGXACT struct has a dependency on code in GetNewTransactionId() that write `MyPgXact-&gt;xid`. It means that the store of xid should happen before the load of it. In C11, we can use [Release-Acquire ordering](https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/atomic/memory_order#Release-Acquire_ordering) to achieve it. But now, there is no special operation to do it(, and the [volatile](https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language/volatile) keyword should not play any role in this situation).
> So it means that when a backend A returns from GetNewTransactionId(), the newval of `MyPgXact-&gt;xid` maybe just in CPU store buffer, or CPU cache line, so the newval is not yet visible to backend B that calling GetSnapshotData(). So the assumption that 'all top-level XIDs <= latestCompletedXid are either present in the ProcArray, or not running anymore' may not be safe.&nbsp;

You'e ignoring the memory barriers that are implicit in LWLock
acquisition and release; as well as the fact that it's transaction
end, not start, that needs to be interlocked. Please read the section
"Interlocking Transaction Begin, Transaction End, and Snapshots"
in src/backend/access/transam/README.