Re: warning message in standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: warning message in standby
Date: 2010-06-14 17:38:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Should I be downgrading Hot Standby breakages to LOG? That will
> > certainly help high availability as well.
>
> If a message is being issued in a non-user-connected session, there
> is basically not a lot of point in WARNING or below. It should either
> be LOG, or ERROR/FATAL/PANIC (which are probably all about the same
> thing in the startup process...)

This looks like a significant issue to me.

Code has been written for 9.0 that assumes WARNING > LOG. I've pointed
out two places in SR code, I'm pretty sure there are others.

There is also lots of pre-existing code where we run the same code in a
backend and in a server process, for example autovacuum. In those cases,
all the WARNINGs issued in vacuum.c, for example, will all be filtered
by the current log-level scheme.

LOG is already over-used and so anything said at that level is drowned.
In many areas of code we cannot use a higher level without trauma. That
is a problem since we have no way to separate the truly important from
the barely interesting.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com