Re: 9.0beta2 - server crash when using HS + SR

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.0beta2 - server crash when using HS + SR
Date: 2010-06-14 11:36:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 03:29 +0200, Rafael Martinez wrote:
> What I didn't expect was such a serious consequence. Postgres crashed
> in the standby node and it refused to start until the directory needed
> by the tablespace was created also in the standby.

> I suppose there is not an easy way of fixing this, but at least it
> would
> be a good idea to update the documentation with some information about
> how to fix this error situation (hot-standby.html#HOT-STANDBY-CAVEATS
> will be a nice place to have this information)

Thanks for testing.

This crash has nothing to do with HS or SR. There is already a
documented caveat and this has been like this for 6 years
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/continuous-archiving.html#CONTINUOUS-ARCHIVING-CAVEATS

If you said the docs need some work, I would agree with you. There isn't
anything to say that the caveats in 24.3.6 still apply to SR, though
they still all do.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com