Re: pg_archive_bypass

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <Pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_archive_bypass
Date: 2010-06-14 11:26:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 12:39 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> I tend to consider it a bug that there's no known way under windows to
> use the same trick as under Unix by using '/usr/bin/true' as your
> archive command. And this Unix trick itself does feel like a hack.
>
> Also I'd very much like to be able to recommend (even if not change the
> official defaults) to setup wal_level to archive, archive_mode=on and
> archive_command=pg_archive_bypass, so that the day you have a HA budget
> ain't the day you're going to restart the server to enable the fault
> tolerance settings…
>
> So please find attached a very simple "let's see about it" patch to
> implement an internal archive_command that just returns true and is
> called pg_archive_bypass. It's missing documentation, which I'll provide
> if needed (meaning there's some will to consider applying such a patch).

ISTM like a good idea to have a couple of more obvious commands provided
purely as "internal commands". If we do this on restore_command as well,
we can skip pg_archivecleanup completely, for example.

So, not for 9.0.

But I like concept for 9.1. Would need to be coded as some kind of
escape phrase, followed by other command. So not just a quick hack with
this one exception.

Something like
archive_command = 'pg_archive_internal:true'

Wouldn't rush to another patch though, needs agreement first.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com