Re: [HACKERS] DISTINCT ON: speak now or forever hold your peace

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DISTINCT ON: speak now or forever hold your peace
Date: 2000-01-25 07:45:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> I've been using DISTINCT to fix things when vacuum gets into a mess (yes, it
> happened again last night,
> FATAL 1: VACUUM (vc_rpfheap): BlowawayRelationBuffers returned -2
> ). I then have loads of duplicates in a table and by doing a SELECT DISTINCT
> ... INTO ... I can get rid of them. A few table renames later I'm back in
> business. So how do I do this without DISTINCT?

I didn't say anything about eliminating SELECT DISTINCT; I was talking
about SELECT DISTINCT ON, which is a whole 'nother thing.

> Better would be of course to get rid of the BlowawayRelationBuffers problem.

Quite so. I think this is fixed for 7.0 ... that error message
indicates a buffer refcount leak, and I fixed several problems
along that line a couple months ago. We shall see if I got 'em
all or not ...