Re: How to pass around collation information

From: alvherre <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to pass around collation information
Date: 2010-05-28 17:05:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of vie may 28 12:27:52 -0400 2010:

> Option 2, invent some new mechanism that accompanies a datum or a type
> whereever it goes. Kind of like typmod, but not really. Then the
> collation information would presumably be made available to functions
> through the fmgr interface. The binary representation of data values
> stays the same.

Is the collation a property of the datum, or one of the comparison?
If the latter, should it be really be made a sidecar of a datum, or
would it make more sense to attach it to the operation being performed?

I wonder if instead of trying to pass it down multiple layers till
bttextcmp and further down, it would make more sense to set a global
variable somewhere in the high levels, and only have it checked in
varstr_cmp.