Re: mapping object names to role IDs

From: alvherre <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mapping object names to role IDs
Date: 2010-05-26 19:02:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié may 26 10:34:00 -0400 2010:

> lsyscache.c might have no conceptual consistency but it's extremely
> useful,

I know I've been annoyed by lsyscache: looking for accessors to catalog
stuff, not finding them and so creating my own by using syscache
directly, only to find out later that they already existed there.
I think we should be moving in the direction of *removing* lsyscache,
not replicating it.

BTW I quite agree with both the suggestion you give in this thread
(modulo this issue), and Peter's idea of getting rid of the repetitive
syscache coding pattern.

> and there are
> plenty of other examples of where we've put code for different object
> types into a single file to simplify maintenance and reduce code
> complexity (e.g. copyfuncs, equalfuncs, outfuncs, etc.).

Well, that's all related to node manipulation, so I'm not so sure it's
exactly the same.