Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Date: 2010-05-06 08:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 23:15 -0700, Rob Wultsch wrote:

> I manage a bunch of different environments and I am pretty sure that
> in any of them if the db started seemingly randomly killing queries I
> would have application teams followed quickly by executives coming
> after me with torches and pitchforks.

Fully understood and well argued, thanks for your input.

HS doesn't randomly kill queries and there are documented work-arounds
to control this behaviour.

Removing the parameter won't help the situation at all, it will make the
situation *worse* by removing control from where it's clearly needed and
removing all hope of making the HS feature work in practice. There is no
consensus to remove the parameter.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com