Re: Maximum Size for Large Object / TOASTed Object

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maximum Size for Large Object / TOASTed Object
Date: 2003-02-12 06:23:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net> writes:
> What is the maximum size a large object can be in PostgreSQL?
> What is the maximum size a TOASTed object can be in PostgreSQL?

TOASTed fields max out at 1Gb. Large objects max out at either 2 or 4 Gb
... I'm not sure whether we consistently use signed or unsigned
arithmetic for them. (Probably they *should* max out at 4Gb, and if you
find any places that fail over 2Gb, those are bugs for which patches
will be gladly accepted.)