Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Date: 2010-04-30 15:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On fre, 2010-04-30 at 10:45 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> In the end, the main useful function that contrib serves is to provide
> examples of how to write Postgres extensions.

Maybe, but pg_migrator surely doesn't fit that. And neither does about
a third of the other contrib modules, IMO.

> Because of that, removing
> it as Peter suggests doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

contrib means many things to many people, and that's exactly the problem
in my mind: It doesn't mean anything in particular. If we were to
separate it into

- examples

- production-quality add-ons with small user base

- production-quality add-ons that everyone wants, but we keep them as
plugins because plugins are cool

- experimental code that we wanted to ship anyway

- (historically) differently licensed code

then these discussions would be much simpler.