Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 18:12:34
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 13:20 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> This is a pretty good argument, and Heikki's argument just upthread
> that a mismatched max_connections setting could bollix things is an
> even better one. So I'm now changing my mind and thinking this should
> be off by default, also.

What Heikki hasn't said is that setting max_prepared_transactions
incorrectly has always caused a fatal error at failover, and still does
so now when HS is disabled. If these concerns were real ones, then that
situation would not have existed for years and would not still do so.

9.0 without HS enabled is fairly untested on the standby, so it's not
clear to me turning it off makes you any safer.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com