Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 18:00:40
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 19:55 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> And Aidan and me are human
> beings, included in "everybody".

Yes, that was too loose. I dislike that kind of argument and I'm sorry
that slipped in here.

> You know that there is cases where it causes problems in the standby,
> even ignoring the possibility of bugs. For example, if you increase
> max_connections in the master, the standby will abort.

That behaviour was suggested by you. I don't think its anywhere near
necessary that it does that and would like to remove that restriction.
The likelihood we'll ever run out of slots is small even with large
increases in max_connections. Example: if we increase from 100 to 500
we'd only hit the limit if we had all 500 connections on the master
simultaneously running write transactions with an average 12
subtransactions each.

> It's safer to run
> with recovery_connections off if you don't need the feature.

Presumably your advice is also that people should not run with Streaming
Replication if they don't need that feature? And that we should also
have an enable_joinremoval flag so the risk it poses can be minimized?
You didn't argue this way with regard to vacuum/FSM in 8.4, which was
much more critical; we're just talking about a standby server.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com