Re: extended operator classes vs. type interfaces

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extended operator classes vs. type interfaces
Date: 2010-04-22 02:36:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 23:18 -0700, Scott Bailey wrote:
> Well I've been doing a lot of work with range abstract data types in
> Oracle lately. And I've got to say that the OO features in Oracle make
> it really nice. Of course its Oracle, so its like a half baked OO in
> cobol syntax, lol. But I for one think it would be great if Postgres had
> object data types that had methods and could be subclassed.

That's interesting. I think the most critical piece of that is
"subclassing" in the sense of a type interface.

There have already been a couple threads about type interfaces:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-10/msg01403.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-04/msg00443.php

Regards,
Jeff Davis