Re: Remaining Streaming Replication Open Items

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remaining Streaming Replication Open Items
Date: 2010-04-08 12:00:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 07:53 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> > I do. I see no reason to do the latter, ever, so should not be added to
> > any TODO.
>
> Well, stopping recovery earlier would mean fewer locks, which would
> mean a better chance for the read-only backends to finish their work
> and exit quickly. But I'm not sure how much it's worth worrying
> about.

The purpose of the lock is to prevent access to objects when they are in
inappropriate states for access. If we stopped startup and allowed
access, how do we know that things are in sufficiently good state to
allow access? We don't. If the Startup process is holding a lock then
that is the only safe thing to do. Otherwise we might allow access to a
table with a partially built index or other screw ups.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com