Re: Signals blocked during auth

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Signals blocked during auth
Date: 2001-08-21 22:54:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Now one little problem remains. If a bogus client causes a
> child to hang before becoming a real backend, this child is
> in the backend list of the postmaster, but has all signals
> blocked. Thus, preventing the postmaster from beeing able to
> shutdown.

I think this is fairly irrelevant, because a not-yet-backend should
have a fairly short timeout (a few seconds) before just shutting
down anyway, so that malfunctioning clients can't cause denial of
service; the particular case you mention is just one scenario.

I have been intending to implement this soon if Peter didn't.

OTOH, it'd be easy enough to turn on SIGTERM/SIGQUIT too, if you
think there's really any value in it.