Re: problems with large objects dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sergio Gabriel Rodriguez <sgrodriguez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with large objects dump
Date: 2012-10-11 22:16:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sergio Gabriel Rodriguez <sgrodriguez(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I tried with Postgresql 9.2 and the process used to take almost a day
> and a half, was significantly reduced to 6 hours, before failing even used
> to take four hours. My question now is, how long should it take the backup
> for a 200GB database with 80% of large objects?

It's pretty hard to say without knowing a lot more info about your system
than you provided. One thing that would shed some light is if you spent
some time finding out where the time is going --- is the system
constantly I/O busy, or is it CPU-bound, and if so in which process,
pg_dump or the connected backend?

Also, how many large objects is that? (If you don't know already,
"select count(*) from pg_largeobject_metadata" would tell you.)