Re: Getting to beta1

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting to beta1
Date: 2010-03-18 17:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 10:18 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> It's already in the docs, so if they read it and understand it they can
> >> add it to the postgresql.conf if they so choose.
> >
> > I agree with Josh Berkus that vacuum_defer_cleanup_age should be in
> > postgresql.conf. We don't stop listing items just because they are
> > dangerous, e.g. fsync, or to discourage their use. I believe Greg Smith
> > also felt it should be included.
>
> Or, let's put it another way: I've made my opinion clear in the past
> that I think that we ought to ship with a minimal postgresql.conf with
> maybe 15 items in it. If we are going to continue to ship with
> postgresql.conf "kitchen sick" version, however, it should include
> vacuum_defer_cleanup_age.

+1

As usual, the postgresql.conf is entirely too full. We should ship with
the top 15. If this gains any traction, I am sure that Greg Smith,
Berkus and I could provide that list with nothing but a care bear
discussion.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.