Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: Major Services <services(dot)major(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'
Date: 2010-03-03 12:04:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Let's see.
Could you provide us again pgstartup.log?

First problem was you had a problem with postgresql.conf syntax.
Then, you had a problem with lock files, probably because a bad shutdown
(perhaps a kill?)

Anyway, how long have you worked with Unix environments? I think you are
new to this world, don't you? ;-)

In order to start postgres you have several ways to do it.

- as root user: "service postgresql start" or "/etc/init.d/postgresql
start"
- as postgres user "su - postgres", run "pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql"