Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 18:17:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 10:07 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon,

> > Your mistake was not typoing an archive_command, it was not correctly
> > testing that what you had done was actually working. The fix is to read
> > the manual and correct the typo. Shutting down the server after failing
> > to configure it is not likely to be a normal reaction to experiencing an
> > error in configuration.
>
> The problem is you're thinking of an experienced PostgreSQL DBA doing
> setup on a production server. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm
> talking about the thousands of new users who are going to try PostgreSQL
> for the first time because of HS/SR on a test installation. If they
> encounter this issue, they will decide (again) that PostgreSQL is too
> hard to use and give up on us for another 5 years.

Shoot forget the "new users", I am thinking about the hundreds of
thousands of existing NOT DBA users. E.g; 90% of our user base.

> Saying "RTFM and test, you newbie!" is not a valid response, and that's
> what your "you should have read the docs" amounts to. Heck, I *did*
> read the docs.

Agreed. Although RTFM is important, we shouldn't have RTFM for something
that is clearly a user visible behavior mistake on our part.

> > ISTM you should collect test reports, then analyse and prioritise them.
> > This rates pretty low for me: low severity, low frequency.
>
> To date, I, Robert Haas, Joe Conway, Josh Drake, and the members of
> LAPUG all find this highly problematic behavior. So consider it 6
> problem reports, not just one.

Basically the reports boil down to people who are actually going to be
dealing with this in the field. Simon with respect you have been 6 feet
deep in code for too long on this. You need to step back and take some
constructive feedback from those that are dealing with the production
issues and do so with a smile.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.