Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: marcin mank <marcin(dot)mank(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after
Date: 2010-02-15 10:02:50
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hi Marcin,

Sounds rather unlikely to me. Its likely handled at an upper layer (vfs in linux' case) and only overloaded when an optimized implementation is available.
Which os do you see implementing that only on a part of the filesystems?

A runtime check would be creating, fsyncing and deleting a directory for every directory youre fsyncing because they could be on a different fs...

Andres
--
Sent from a mobile phone - please excuse brevity and formatting.
----- Ursprüngliche Mitteilung -----