Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Date: 2010-02-11 14:38:40
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 16:22 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Might it not be simpler to add a parameter onto pg_standby?
> > We send %s to tell pg_standby the standby_mode of the server which is
> > calling it so it can decide how to act in each case.
>
> That would work too, but it doesn't seem any simpler to me. On the contrary.

It would mean that pg_standby would act appropriately according to the
setting of standby_mode. So you wouldn't need multiple examples of use,
it would all just work whatever the setting of standby_mode. Nice simple
entry in the docs.

We've said we need a script and pg_standby is it. Having a second
script, pg_standby2, rather than adding something to the existing tools
just seems confusing and easier to get wrong.

I'm happy to do the patch if you like.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com